What is Fundations?
Fundations is a multisensory language program that provides children of varying learning abilities a foundation for reading and spelling. Each level of Fundations presents skills through direct, explicit and systematic instruction. The program places an emphasis on phonemic awareness, phonics and study of word structure. Instruction in the areas of vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension is also provided. Some highlights of Fundations instruction include:
- Skills are taught explicitly and systematically.
- Instruction is cumulative and scaffolds presented skills.
- Teachers model and direct students to repeat sounds, words, and sentences.
- Frequent assessments monitor student learning and skill mastery.
- Multiple opportunities for practicing reading and spelling of isolated sounds, words, sentences, and stories.
- A focus on building fluency through the reading of real words, nonsense words, and stories.